The Business Services Lead provides general support for new and existing services that address African food companies’ business needs and is a key thought contributor to how existing services can be optimized.
The Business Services Lead helps administer a small portfolio of zero-interest loans and grants that support project implementation. They help keep the lending portfolio on track through regular collection and analysis of PFS data and participation in virtual meetings with stakeholders from our go-to lender, clients, and our staff across Africa.
The Business Services Lead will also be responsible for assessing client needs, designing offerings, and executing pilots for PFS to engage cohorts of high-potential clients to network, share insights, and connect with a broader ecosystem through a mix of events and communications. They will incorporate input and ideas from a diverse set of internal and external stakeholders.
Beyond the two services described, the Business Services Lead will also be responsible for utilizing the PFS innovation model to foster ideas for new high-value services for African clients. This could involve exploring client needs, delivery models, and potential partners for business assessments and access to finance.
All tasks and projects require the exercise of independent judgment, a keen sense of responsibility, strong communication skills, and commitment to the success of the organization in completing projects with a positive and cooperative attitude. Responsible for execution with opportunity to grow.
The Business Services Lead will be based in Nairobi, Kenya or Accra, Ghana but will join the PFS field operations team, many of whom are based at PFS headquarters in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.
- Keen sense of business strategy, finance, and understanding of business operations best practices
- Understanding and informed point of view on African business environment for agri-businesses
- Ability to build trusting relationships in versatile, flexible manner with diverse set of stakeholders
- Listens and incorporates new feedback, learnings, and data in a cycle of continuous improvement
- Experience using design thinking to launch products or services for African consumers or businesses
Role & Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain professional working relationships with PFS headquarters team, African field staff, corporate partner volunteers and critical business & finance ecosystem partners in order to gain critical input and collaboration around PFS business service design and delivery
- Coordinate information about existing and upcoming business services, keeping key documentation up to date in PFS’ online systems, including, but not limited to:
- Client financing details
- Quarterly reports from clients
- Impact metrics including fiscal year progress towards targets
- Pipeline for upcoming service requests from clients
- Leverage the PFS innovation model, data from PFS clients, and input from PFS staff and stakeholders to optimize the current client financing operations and design a cohort-level service offerings for PFS high-potential clients
- Serve as the operational point of contact and accountability with our partner SUNU Capital and other ecosystem partners we formally incorporate into business service offerings
- Serve as a thought leader on the business needs of small and mid-sized African food companies, leveraging first-hand professional experience, up-to-date industry information, and a broad network
- Regular travel in Africa, and potential for periodic travel to the US and Europe.
- Perform other duties as assigned that further the operational or strategic value of PFS business services