The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Since its founding in 1949, the Institute has been driving change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most critical challenges facing communities in the United States and around the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of partners.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
To achieve our mission of a more free, just, and equitable society, we commit to working proactively to advance the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion across our myriad endeavors such as the recruitment, compensation, training, and advancement of staff. The best people-serving institutions make this commitment, and we seek to be a leader in the ways that we do so and learn from others. Visit our website to learn more about our commitment and recent actions taken toward building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive environment.
The Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE) is a global network of organizations that propel entrepreneurship in emerging markets. ANDE members provide critical financial, educational, and business support services to small and growing businesses (SGBs) based on the conviction that SGBs will create jobs, stimulate long-term economic growth, and produce environmental and social benefits. Ultimately, we believe that SGBs can help lift countries out of poverty.
Launched with 34 members in 2009, ANDE now comprises more than 290 members who collectively operate in more than 150 countries. Members of ANDE include both for and nonprofit investment funds, capacity development providers, research and academic institutions, development finance institutions, foundations and corporations from around the world. Based in Washington, D.C. with several offices in emerging markets, the ANDE team works hard to support members globally, and locally, while building strong ecosystems for entrepreneurial growth. ANDE develops unique initiatives to address systemic challenges and seize opportunities that can only be approached through collective action. You can read more about ANDE here.
We are looking for an intern who is interested in working in a diverse and global organization, has a passion for economic, social and environmental issues facing our region and the globe, and has an interest in learning how businesses and development organizations can work together to reduce poverty in developing countries. Our ideal candidate will be very socially conscious but will also have an interest in learning how small and growing business (SGBs), entrepreneurship, and startups can have an impact on the local economy. They will also be very detailed-oriented, organized, proactive, and willing and able to learn fast, and adjust easily to changing circumstances and priorities.
Specific roles and duties
- Create and publish the monthly newsletter of the chapter.
- Create and maintain content for the chapter´s social media. Including daily monitoring, posting, scheduling and reporting LinkedIn updates.
- Contribute to social media quantitative and qualitative analytics reporting.
- Monitor and research influencers, trending topics and tools.
- Provide input for creative marketing strategies and social media campaigns.
- Manage editorial and event calendars.
- Support the writing and edition of corporate bios, project descriptions and blogs.
- Update the chapter´s website using WordPress with current events, relevant news, etc.
- Design event/program fliers, graphics and other marketing material.
Events and data
- Support chapter staff with data entry. Update member and individual profiles in Sales Force (SF), keep our database of service providers updated, maintain our member list and profiles organized and current.
- Assist chapter staff with member meetings, learning labs, webinars, in-presence events, among others. Taking notes during meetings and record in Salesforce when necessary.
- Support chapter staff researching and booking venues, arranging meals, creating event artwork/design, making name badges, organizing participants lists, checking for attendance, etc.
- Write follow-up and informational emails such as mass and individual invitations, follow-up on event questions and concerns.
- Create and manage PowerPoint presentations.
- Current student in the fields of communications, multimedia, public relations, journalism, marketing, digital media, graphic design, business administration, economics, or similar fields.
- Must be willing to commit to at least a six-month internship.
- Firm grasp of social media tools and platforms including LinkedIn.
- Understanding of the basic principles of public relations and/or marketing.
- Must be computer literate (working knowledge of word processing, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Desired proficiency in Canva, Campaign Monitor, Hootsuite, Adobe InDesign, and Photoshop.
- Knowledge of HTML, website content management, and graphic design is a plus.
- Genuine enthusiasm for creating compelling marketing materials to support the chapter programming.
- Self-starter, good time management, creative, with the ability to communicate in a professional manner.
- Excellent oral and writing skills including the ability to synthesize information.
- Proficiency in the English language is necessary due to meetings and messages with the global team (demonstrable).
- Enjoys supporting our team and our members for the ultimate goal of building a robust entrepreneurial ecosystem in developing countries to alleviate poverty.
What you will gain from this opportunity
- Access to a network of 35+ organizations working in the Brazilian chapter.
- Access to innovations going on in the entrepreneurial sector, including the impact sector.
- Learn a lot about gender and climate and its intersectionality with entrepreneurship.
- Learn about investments and non-financial support to entrepreneurs, such as acceleration programs and others.
- Opportunity to interreact with diverse ANDE colleagues based all over the world.
- Ability to attend chapter trainings and meetings which are generally reserved for ANDE members and experts in the field.
- Improve your marketing/communications skills.
- Develop your oral and written communication skills in a professional setting.
- A chance to be creative and proactive as you will join a team that is willing to take your input and initiative into account.
- The flexibility to grow within your role if you are ambitious and demonstrate your potential and commitment.
Keep in mind that as a small and dynamic chapter this is not an exhaustive list of duties, and we expect the candidate to be flexible.
Compensation: R$ 1.400 per month (4 hours a day)
To Apply: Please submit cover letter, resume, and previous writing/graphic work by January 14, 2022.
The Institute has implemented a mandatory COVID vaccination policy for all employees who will work at one of our physical locations, attend any of our in-person events or travel on behalf of the Institute. Staff unable to be vaccinated may request an exemption under certain circumstances.
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.