The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Since its founding in 1949, the Institute has been driving change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most critical challenges facing communities in the United States and around the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of partners.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
To achieve our mission of a more free, just, and equitable society, we commit to working proactively to advance the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion across our myriad endeavors such as the recruitment, compensation, training, and advancement of staff. The best people-serving institutions make this commitment, and we seek to be a leader in the ways that we do so and learn from others. Visit our website to learn more about our commitment and recent actions taken toward building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive environment.
The Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE) is a global network of organizations that propel entrepreneurship in developing economies. ANDE members provide critical financial, educational, and business support services to small and growing businesses (SGBs) based on the conviction that SGBs create jobs, stimulate long-term economic growth, and produce environmental and social benefits.
As the leading global voice of the SGB sector, ANDE believes that SGBs are a powerful, yet underleveraged tool in addressing social and environmental challenges. Since 2009, ANDE has grown into a trusted network of nearly 300 collaborative members, representing a wide range of entrepreneurship support organizations, impact investors, researchers, donors and others relevant to the Small and Growing Business sector that operate in nearly every developing economy. ANDE grows the body of knowledge, mobilizes resources, and connects the institutions that support the small business entrepreneurs who build inclusive prosperity in developing economies.
ANDE is part of the Aspen Institute, a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society.
ANDE is recruiting a senior leader in the small business entrepreneurship and sustainable development sector within East and Southeast Asia (ESEA) to be the Regional Chapter Head to lead and grow the organization’s efforts within the region.
The Regional Chapter Head is the heart of the organization and must successfully function at many different levels. It is one of the most challenging roles in the organization and one of the most rewarding for its direct impact in strengthening entrepreneurial ecosystems and helping members deliver a range of strong development benefits to the region, including in the area of local economic development, gender equality, climate action and other priority areas
The ESEA Regional Chapter head leads all aspects of ANDE’s regional strategic branding, fundraising, and operations in the region. This position provides overall management of ANDE across priority East and Southeast Asia, including HR, procurement, finance and operations, and membership, ensuring efficient and effective and high-quality design and implementation of programs, compliance with all donor and local legal requirements as well as ANDE and the Aspen Institute’s policies and regulations.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities:
- Membership: Strengthen engagement with existing members, while also recruiting new members to the network. Establishing and facilitating connections and collaboration among ANDE members in the region; oversight of membership events.
- Development: In collaboration with senior leadership, developing and executing a business strategy aligned with ANDE’s global and regional strategies, maintaining and building strong relationships with a wide range of donors, and developing and delivering upon a robust pipeline of new programmatic and resource development opportunities.
- Program: Coaching and supervising program teams for the successful delivery of results; ensuring timely submission of high quality internal and donor reports and working with program staff to identify and address technical assistance needs.
- Representation: Establishing and maintaining strong relationships with key stakeholders, including government ministries, private sector companies, business associations, and civil society organizations, including developing partnerships; representing ANDE to a wide array of audiences; providing thought leadership to the small and growing business sector within the region.
- Thought Leadership: Tracking regional developments relevant to the Small and Growing Business Sector, impact investing, climate action, gender equality and decent work and economic growth and proposing and developing both programmatic responses as well as thought leadership pieces, in collaboration with ANDE’s communications team.
- Compliance: Representing ANDE in legal matters within the region and ensuring ANDE retains and consults with qualified local legal counsel as needed; ensuring that ANDE is appropriately registered and complies with regulations.
- Finance: Preparing, reviewing and approving expenditures to ensure compliance with regional and donor financial requirements, and ANDE procurement/finance policies.
- Governance: The ESEA Steering Committee provides strategic advice to the regional chapter. In collaboration with the Managing Director, lead the ESEA Steering Committee by recruiting, managing, and engaging with members drawn from the ANDE Network.
The ideal candidate for this role has:
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience; or a Master’s degree with a minimum of eight years of relevant experience.
- Proven ability to fundraise / work with donor organizations and professionally manage and represent an organization.
- Five years’ management experience relating to development and implementation of large-scale projects with responsibility for all aspects of operations including HR, Finance, and Procurement.
- Entrepreneurial and inspirational, with a demonstrated ability to build and maintain high-performing teams in stressful contexts.
- Experience working in entrepreneurship, impact investing and/or international development strongly preferred.
- Deep sense of mission in wanting to help support Small and Growing Businesses across the region through engaging with an ecosystem of intermediaries.
- Be able to represent ANDE in the region to a wide range of stakeholders, including senior level government officials and high-level donors.
- Familiarity with impact investing and climate action in the region, especially climate smart agriculture, gender lens investing, a plus.
- Experience working with USAID and other bilateral funding and their requirements strongly preferred.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 20% domestically and internationally as necessary.
- Excellent communicator with prior public speaking experience preferred.
- Complete fluency in written and spoken English required. Experience studying or working in the US or Europe highly preferred.
- Legally authorized to work in Thailand.
The role will be based in Thailand. During COVID, the position may initially be virtual. Position is only open to candidates who are nationals of Thailand and/or have Thailand work authorization. Hiring is contractually conducted through a host organization based out of Singapore.
Interested applicants should apply here.
For more information, please visit www.andeglobal.org